Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Basketball and a Rock Band

I was talking to one of the parents of a player on our Mob basketball team. And he was telling me about how his daughter is starting to become more involved with music and is losing interest in playing ball. And I myself being a musician I can see this because that is what happened to me I lost interest in sports and put all my time and energy in to music when I was young. But looking back if it wasn't for all the teams I played on I would have never been able to understand the personal dynamics a band or a team. Because they are the same there is a pecking order in everything. So lets go through it. The point guard is the drummer they set the tempo of the game or the song fast or slow. Now you have the rest of the rhythm section the rhythm guitar and the bass guitar these are your other guards or wing players. They are holding the bottom down and creating the base for your talent players to play. Now who is the talent well its your lead guitar player and your lead singer. The lead singer is your tall post player because both have God given talent. No matter how hard you try you can not make your self tall.And no matter how many singing lessons you take if you can't sing you can't sing. This is talent you do not have to work for God given. And your lead guitar player or your power forward is the same it is God given talent. Now both group have to get on stage and perform. That is right anytime you take your self out of the stands and put yourself out in front of people you have to put on a show perform. Sports is a performing art just like music.And should be treated the same. So it is just like I told my player who wanted to quit basketball and just do music. Basketball is preparing you do be a better performer and a better musician by putting you on that stage and learning to control your nerves. Most people when they get through with their High school athletic career if they were stars they miss the stage and the adulation the attention they become musicians and actors and yes teachers they find a stage even if there audience is children. Adrenaline is a drug..And performing in public is addictive. So have fun with your local Rock Band and your local basketball team...


 



         

No comments:

Post a Comment